Dancing brings joy and connection
Hi there! My name is Citabria (pronounced sih-TAH-bree-uh) Ozzuna.
Watching my parents dance as a teenager, I couldn’t have been more bored…It wasn’t until many years later when I worked up the courage to take BART and go by myself to Gerry’s Friday night women’s Two Steppin’ dance in Oakland that I fell in love with dance. From there it snowballed. I fell in love with Lindy Hop and other Swing and night club dances and found my way to American style ballroom.
It was an honor to be in Diane Jarmolow’s Ballroom Dance Teacher’s College when she was teaching it. She taught me not only the leader’s and follower’s part of practically all the figures in all the dances, but I also learned so much about being a great and encouraging teacher and how to create a fun learning environment. I also took DVIDA dance teacher tests in American and International Ballroom.
When I found out they only do International Style Ballroom at the Gay Games, I immediately switched and have loved it since.
Along with my former dance partner Zoe Balfour of Trip the Light Fantastic, I co-founded, co-directed and co-taught for Dancing with the Queers from 2006 to 2011. We also competed as a dance partnership from 2003 to 2011. (See results below)
I am proud to have been an 2008 inaugural NASSPDA board member and I continue to work on committees such as the Judges Qualification Committee.
Working on the April Follies organizing committee for the past several years has been a joy and am excited to be working on the next one.
In 2011 I switched from leading to following and started dancing with a new partner, Angie. It was an exciting and humbling new adventure.
I’ve been lucky enough to compete in many mainstream and same-sex ballroom competitions both locally and abroad. Here are some of the highlights of my dance career so far:
- OutGames 2012. Angie and I took second in Women’s Standard. It felt like a huge achievement and we were very proud.
- April Follies 2012. Angie and I won the California State Women’s Standard Champion title.
- Dancing in the River City 2012. Our first time out Angie and I took second in the National Championships.
- 2010 Gay Games in Cologne. Taking 5th in the world Zoe Balfour and Citabria were proud to once again be the top US couple.
- Philadelphia Liberty Challenge, 2010 Zoe and Citabria maintained their title as North American Champions in women’s International Standard.
- Zoe and Citabria were featured in the SF Chronicle on Monday January 18th, 2010.
- Citabria and Zoe took first in the A level Women’s International Standard at the California State Championships at the 2009 April Follies, making them the women’s state champions for the third year in a row. Citabria & Zoe were the North American and California State Same-sex women’s standard champions.
- February of 2009 Zoe and Citabria went to London for the Pink Jukebox competition. They took 5th out of 30 women’s standard couples.
- July of 2009 Citabria and Zoe took the Gold in senior Women’s Standard and 6th overall at the OutGames in Copenhagen.
- Fresh Meat Transgender Festival 2009 – Zoe & Citabria were honored to be included.
- The film Learning to Fly by Margo Dean was made about Dancing with the Queers which Zoe and Citabria co-founded and co-directed for many years.
- Zoe and Citabria defended their title at the US Championships in NYC in August of 2008 and in Oakland at the 2009 April Follies.
- Citabria and Zoe took 7th in the A level Women’s Standard division 2nd in the A level women’s “senior” division at the 2008 EuroGames in Barcelona, Spain.
- At the 2007 EuroGames in Antwerp, Citabria and Zoe took 7th in the A level women’s International Standard.
- In the US Championships in Orlando, Florida on June 2nd, 2007, Zoe and Citabria took first in women’s standard making them the women’s US Champions.
- At the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago, Zoe and Citabria took the Bronze medal in the A level Women’s Standard Ballroom competition.
- At the 2006 OutGames in Montreal they took 4th in A level Women’s Standard. Several students also did well at the Gay Games, including one couple taking Gold in the E level of Women’s Standard.
- She and her Lindy Hop partner took Gold in Fast Swing at the August ’05 United States Same-Sex Dance Championships.
- She and her County Two Step partner took first at the August ’05 United States Same-Sex Dance Championships.
- Citabria and her Luck of the Draw partner took first in Lindy Hop at the 2003 same-sex competition in San Jose.